Monday, March 30, 2009

Where I'm From




The City That Reads. Charm City. The Murder Capital. Smalltimore. Baltiwhore. Yup, those are just a few of the things that my hometown, Baltimore, has been called by the media, and by the people who live there. You know John Waters? That werido director guy who has made movies like,Serial Mom, Pecker, and Cry Baby? Yeah, he's from Baltimore. And he is a perfect expression of the quirky , strange, yet lovable people that come out of this city. Baltimore has long been known for its delicious sea food. Maryland blue crabs, steamed in beer and a variety of spices, are a classic "Baltimore thing." My friend Jeff came to Baltimore over Christmas and was absolutley appalled by the whole crab picking process. Imagine watching some who is OCD, try to pull apart a steaming hot crustacean, that is caked in Old Bay seasoning. Jeff did not like it, I think he was about to puke actually, but he tried his best to get into the experience. It was pretty entertaining to everyone else who hands were covered in seasoning, crab guts and shells. I know it sounds nasty, but crabs are really good. That sweet suculent crab meat is worth the effort. And its a tradition of my native land, the city where I was born, good old Baltimore, Hon!

No comments:

Post a Comment