Thursday, June 11, 2009

Dubrovnik is Awesome













I have arrived! Ahhhhh, the sunshine, the stone streets, the palm trees, and lush blooming Jasmine and begonias, the tourists, and that beautiful Adriatic Sea! Its funny cause I almost feel as if I never left. I walk down the streets with a sense of familiarity, I see many of the same people working in the cafes and shops. I have seen many friends that I made last year, and they are all very welcoming and happy to see me.I went to my favorite little beach spot, Buza ( Croatian translation : "hole in the wall") and lounged in sun, swam in the sea, and I saw a couple of peeps from last year. I am noticing more and more English speaking people here this year. Americans and Aussies and British tourists. I just love AUstralian accents, and New Zealand accents too. I sould listen to them speak all day! Its so cute the way that they say everything!
I went out for the first time last night. I met up with one of the restaurant barkers. In case you dont know what this is, i ll tell you. A restaruant barker is a person who stands in the streets and tries to entice tourists to go to thier restaraunt. the Old City of Dubrovnik, or "Stari Grad", is like a living labrynth. It s maze people! You think that one street ends, but it doesnt, there are all these little nooks and crannies to find, and so many times tourist do not realize that there are streets upon streets full of places to chill and eat. So these barkers will stay out on the one main street called " Stradun"- pernounced Straaa-dune, and try to get peeps to go spend thier cash at thier establishment. Anyway- I see this one guy all the time when I walk the dogs and we ll chat about this or that. SO last night I went out with him and his bro for some drinks. His name is Darko- yup, like Donny Darko. His bro was a pretty interesting cat, cause he had this crazy ass hair style. Check this.... his head is completley Bic shaved, exept for ...wait for it.... a sweet ass little pony tail of hair in the back , that goes down to his shoulders. Nutso. But whatevs, he was pretty entertaining. He told me all about his life as a sailor on cargo ships sailing around the world. Then I went out to a little bar by myself and I met Bruno- the Croatian version of my first boyfriend, Chris Grogan. He's in one of those pics i posted up. A cute guy- but a very cocky guy. A professional water Polo player at 25 years old.I couldnt believe he was Croatian because I had never seen a croatian who looked like him! Turns out we have the same heritage- his friends were telling us that we were cut from the same cloth- like twins, they said. Because we both blond, tan ect...Anyway, I thought maybe this guy could be my summer boyfriend- but he s too young and didnt seem like good boyfriend material, he just seemed like he was a player. Then I had a great conversation with an Aussie guy named Johnny about Summer Heights HIgh and how amazing Chris Lilly is. It was great to just hear his Aussie twang, and his impersonations of Jonah were really good.

My favorite hang out FRESH, is closed this year and I m sad. I loved that little bar and I made tons of friends there. So i guess i need to find a new place to go... there are many many bars and cafes here so i ll just have to try em out!
I hope that we stay here in Dubrovnik more this year because I like it better than Orebic. There is more to see here, and the Summer Festival in July is awesome, with so many shows, live music, theater, and art.
The little dog in the pics I posted is NOT one of my dogs I take care of. Its Mocha, the woman who owns the apartment Im staying in owns him. He just roams around and comes up to see me sometimes. He's cool.
Well thats all for now... Peace out

2 comments:

  1. Hey girly! You better find a new hang out spot. I am alittle sad too that FRESH is closed, but lets be real that place got alittle stale by the end of your trip. It is high time to find your 2009 summer hang place. Cute guys already. I love you and miss you. Keep updating and I will do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaz, this blog is amazing....!!! I love the grey background the exqusite photos and the very real commentary! Keep it up...more pages for the novel!
    Love you--Mom

    ReplyDelete