Monday, June 22, 2009

Step Into My Officina





I am Orebic, a small village on the Plejacs Peninsula, on the Damatian Coast of Croatia. This town is older than the whole continental United States, and so are its values, opinions, and attitudes towards "outsiders"(tourists like me). Although this place is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited, I dont always feel welcome here. Anyway I came here to switch it up a bit, since I had been in Dubrovnik for a few weeks, and was feeling like a little sunshine, biking, hiking, quiet and calmness was needed , since Dubrovnik can be really crowded with tourists.
Well here, in Orebic, life is slooooooow like molasses. It is quiet, there is harldy any one here, and every one knows everyone. I have been here for three days and have yet to hear anyone speaking English( unless I ask them to kindly "Govrim Engleski? Ja ne govorim Hrvatski, aprosti."- Meaning Do you speak English, Im sorry I dont speak Croatian!)
So on top of all that it has been storming and raining non stop since I arrived here, so Ive been pretty much stuck inside for three days. I havent gone out or seen any one- not even for a coffee. Im stir crazy, bored and edging towards depressed.
So, I decided to create a little officina for myself. A space where I can sit and stare out at the sea, write, create, think...cause what else do I have to do?! So i moved a bit of furniture around, and made the desk face the french window doors, which face the sea. So now I have a cute little area with a fantastic view of the rain and the sea and Korrcula Island in the distance. I set up my printer scanner, put up some inspirational pics, quotes and magazine clippings. I picked some hydrangea from the garden and put them in a little vase. And VOILA!!
So wont you step into my office?!
I need more projects to do with my hands. Wish I had brought some jewlery making kit or something!

1 comment:

  1. Yucky with the rain! Doesn't it always feel good to kick yourself out of a depression and create a space? That's so great. It looks so gorgeous there. Maybe you could do some sketching?

    ReplyDelete